Text Size:A A A

My wife and I changed to different Part D plans for 2013. Do we need to notify our 2012 plan about the change?

You do not need to contact your old plan. Your coverage automatically switched as of January 1. You should have received materials, including your new plan’s identification card and a booklet explaining your plan’s coverage information in the mail by the end of 2012. You should be all set to fill prescriptions in January.

If you have not yet received your new plan’s insurance card, you should call your new plan immediately. Or, you contact Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).

Also, it’s always important to keep in mind that if you have limited income and resources you may be eligible to get help paying for your costs in Medicare, including your Medicare drug expenses.

  • Part D Extra Help: If you cannot pay for your Part D prescription drugs, or if you need help with your drug copayments, you may be able to get Extra Help paying. Learn more about Extra Help.
  • Medicare Savings Programs: If you have a limited income and assets, you may qualify for help paying for your Medicare Part B premium and other Medicare costs.
  • Find out if you are eligible using BenefitsCheckUp. This online tool is free and confidential. You can even apply for Extra Help using this tool.

Topic: Reviewing and changing plans

Keywords: Part D

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.