Text Size:A A A

I lost my Medicare card. How do I get a new one?

If you lose your Medicare card, you can ask for a new one from Social Security.

Once you join Medicare, Social Security will send you a red, white, and blue Medicare card in the mail. Your Medicare card will show:

  • Your Medicare number (usually the same or very similar to your Social Security number),
  • When your coverage starts, and
  • What parts of Medicare you have (Parts A and/or B).

Important: Your Medicare card will not show if you have Part C or D coverage with a private plan. If you sign up for a private Medicare Advantage plan or a drug plan, the plan will mail you a separate membership card.

Keep your Medicare card safe and bring it (along with any Part C or Part D card) with you to the doctor or the pharmacy. You will need to let them know what coverage you have.

If you lose your Medicare card, you can ask for a new card either online or by telephone:

  • Visit the Medicare Replacement Card section of Social Security’s website, or
  • Call Social Security hotline at 1-800-772-1213
    (TTY users, call 1-800-325-0778).

Social Security will mail you a new card in about 30 days. The card will be mailed to the address that Social Security has on record, so be sure they have your current address.

Note: If you need proof right away that you have Medicare, contact your local Social Security Office or call the toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. The people there can assist you with getting a new card. And, they can give you proof that you can use until you get your replacement card.

If you have a problem getting or using a card from a Medicare Advantage plan or drug plan, contact your plan directly or get personal help.

Topic: Medicare enrollment and cards

Keywords: Medicare card

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.