It is important to meet Medicare's deadlines to make sure you will get your Medicare when you need it. If you miss the deadlines, there may be a penalty. This will cost you more, and your coverage may start later than you need it.
What do I need to do to make sure I enroll on time?
These tips can help you get into Medicare on time:
- Call your Social Security office toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY users call 1-800-325-0778) if you do not get a Medicare card in the mail by:
- The month before your 65th birthday, or
- The 24th month of your disability payments.
- Read all letters you get from Medicare and Social Security.
- Check your Medicare card and be sure you are signed up for Part A, or Part B, or both, depending upon your situation.
- If you retire or lose health insurance through your job or your spouse's job, call Social Security right away. This is especially important after you turn 65.
Still not sure when you need to sign up?
Go to the Medicare website to find out if you’re eligible and when you can enroll.
If you need help using the tool, or have other questions, you can get personal help.