Text Size:A A A

Other Situations

I receive Railroad Retirement Benefits.

If you receive RR retirement benefits, you will automatically be enrolled in Medicare when you turn 65. Your monthly Part B premium will be taken out of your railroad benefit check each month. (If you receive RR disability benefits, you will be auto-enrolled into Medicare after 24 months on disability.)

To learn more about Medicare and your railroad retirement benefits, contact your local office of the Railroad Retirement Board or 1-877-772-5772, or visit them online.

For questions about your Part B medical services and bills, call 1-800-833-4455.

I have Medicaid.

You can get both Medicaid and Medicare, as long as you continue to qualify for both programs. Medicaid will help to pay for some of your Medicare costs. In addition, because you have Medicaid, you also will be able to get help with costs through other programs, such as Extra Help, which helps to pay for your prescription drug costs.

If you have Medicaid and are able to get Medicare, you should get personalized help from a local agency to select Medicare coverage that is best for your situation.

I am a US citizen living outside of the United States.

Medicare provides coverage for services within the United States. It does not generally cover any care outside of the country. If you live outside of the U.S., you should look into purchasing insurance that covers the cost of care in the country in which you live.

Be aware that if you plan to move back to the U.S. in the future, it is advisable to sign up for Medicare when you are first eligible. If you do not sign up for Part B and then move back and want to enroll, you may have to pay a penalty based on the time you went without Part B. You will have to continue to pay this penalty for as long as you have Medicare.

Learn more about living outside of the U.S. and contact Medicare directly for personal assistance.

I have retiree coverage.

If you are a federal/state/local government retiree, visit this page for more information about Medicare enrollment.

If you have other retiree coverage, you'll need to enroll in both Part A and Part B to get full benefits from your retiree plan. Your retiree plan usually offers benefits that fill in Medicare's gaps in coverage and sometimes include extra benefits, like prescription drugs. Remember, retiree coverage is not a Medigap policy.

If you're not sure how your plan works with Medicare, get a copy of your plan's benefits booklet. For more information how your retiree coverage works, call your benefits administrator.

I live in Puerto Rico.

If you live in Puerto Rico, and receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits at age 65, you will automatically be enrolled in Part A. However, you must apply to receive Part B. You must elect Part B during your Initial Enrollment Period, or you will pay a higher premium due to a penalty, unless you qualify to have a Special Enrollment Period later on. Learn more about Medicare for Puerto Ricans in this Social Security publication.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.