People With Medicare
What are the pros and cons of clinical trials?
There are many clinical trials for cancer. But only a small number of cancer patients may choose to join one.
People with cancer may join a clinical trial because they can:
- Try new treatments they could not get otherwise
- Get medical care from doctors who are in the top of their field
- Test new uses for existing treatments
- Help others who will get the same type of illness
A clinical trial may be good for you. But depending on your diagnosis, it may not help you more than normal treatments. Some experimental treatments may make you worse. Some patients do not join a clinical trial because:
- They are worried about possible risks
- They may not get any benefits
- Normal cancer care works faster or requires fewer doctor's visits
NEXT: What Does It Cost?