People With Medicare
What information do I need to apply for Extra Help with costs?
To fill out the application, you will need to know
- Your income:
- Wages, self-employment net earnings, Railroad Retirement, VA, pension, annuities, alimony, net rental income.
- How much money is in your savings accounts, 401K plans, retirement plans.
- How much money you have in investments, stock certificates, bonds and real estate (other than your home).
These do not count
- Your house.
- Personal possessions.
- Any vehicle, including ATVs and motorcycles.
- Burial plots or burial fund of $1,500 per person.
- Burial insurance when the death benefit can be used only to pay funeral expenses.
- Life insurance.
- Property you need to support yourself, including non-business property and land you grow produce on to eat at home.
When should I apply?
Right now! The Social Security Administration and Medicare are accepting applications. Apply online using BenefitsCheckUp. After you apply, they will send you a letter to let you know if you qualify for extra help.
The material on the Medicare.gov site may make more sense if you read this information first:
Find and compare the cost of specific plans on Medicare.gov. Join a plan when you are ready.
Find out if you qualify for Extra Help with Costs
You can also request a form from the Social Security Administration. Look online to find an office near you or call 1-800-772-1213 (TYY 1-800-325-0778). It's important to use an original copy of the application and not a photocopy, because machines that read the ink and pencil marks on the page process these forms.
The application is available in English and Spanish. The instructions for filling out the application come in 16 different languages.