People With Medicare
I have a Medicare Supplemental Insurance (Medigap) policy with drug coverage.
The first question is whether your current policy is as good as Medicare’s coverage. The answer depends on what type of Medigap policy you have. Generally, most Medigap plans are not as good as the Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage. If you do not know what type of plan you have or how much your drug coverage is, you can call your Medigap policy to find out.
- If you know you have Plans H, I or J: they generally are NOT as good as the Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage.
- If you have a different Medigap policy with drug coverage other than H, I or J, you will not know for sure how good they are until your Medigap insurance company tells you. These other plans may be as good as Medicare’s coverage.
If you do not have a Medigap policy with drug coverage now, you cannot buy one.
- Why does it matter how my current Medigap plan compares to the Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage?
- Can I drop my Medigap drug coverage and keep Medigap insurance?
- What if I still have an old Medigap policy with drug coverage (an H, I, or J policy)?